[Lpc-announce] Tracing Microconference Accepted into 2019 Linux Plumbers Conference

Jake Edge jake at lwn.net
Mon May 20 17:35:55 UTC 2019

We are pleased to announce that the Tracing Microconference has been
accepted into the 2019 Linux Plumbers Conference! Its return to Linux
Plumbers shows that tracing is not finished in Linux, and there
continue to be challenging problems to solve.

There's a broad list of ways to perform Tracing in Linux. From the
original mainline Linux tracer, Ftrace[1], to profiling tools like
perf[2], more complex customized tracing like BPF[3] and out-of-tree
tracers like LTTng[4], systemtap[5], and Dtrace[6]. Part of the trouble
with tracing within Linux is that there is so much to choose from. Each
of these have their own audience, but there is a lot of overlap. This
year's theme is to find those common areas and combine them into
common utilities.

There is also a lot of new work that is happening and discussions
between top maintainers will help keep everyone in sync, and provide
good direction for the future.

Expected topics include:

 - bpf tracing - Anything to do with BPF and tracing combined
 - libtrace - Making libraries from our tools
 - Packaging - Packaging these libraries
 - babeltrace - Anything that we need to do to get all tracers talking
   to each other
 - Those pesky tracepoints - How to get what we want from places where
   trace events are taboo
 - Changing tracepoints - Without breaking userspace
 - Function tracing - Modification of current implementation
 - Rewriting of the Function Graph tracer - Can kretprobes and function
   graph tracer merge as one
 - Histogram and synthetic tracepoints - Making a better interface that
   is more intuitive to use

Come and join us and not only learn but help direct the future progress
of tracing inside the Linux kernel and beyond!

If you have another tracing topic idea[7], please send it to Steven
Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org>.

We hope to see you there!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftrace
[2] https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page