[Lpc-announce] Testing & Fuzzing Microconference Accepted into 2016 Linux Plumbers Conference

Jake Edge jake at lwn.net
Sun Apr 24 19:49:02 UTC 2016

Testing, fuzzing [1], and other diagnostics have made the Linux
ecosystem much more robust than in the past, but there are still
embarrassing bugs.  Furthermore, million-year bugs will be happening
many times per day across Linux's huge installed base, so there is
clearly need for even more aggressive validation.

The Testing and Fuzzing Microconference aims to significantly increase
the aggression level of Linux-kernel validation, with discussions on
tools and test suites including kselftest [2], syzkaller [3], trinity
[4], mutation testing [5], and the 0day Test Robot [6]. The
effectiveness of these tools will be attested to by any of their
victims, but we must further raise our game as the installed base of
Linux continues to increase.

One additional way of raising the level of testing aggression is to
document the various ABIs in machine-readable format, thus lowering the
barrier to entry for new projects.  Who knows?  Perhaps Linux testing
will be driven by artificial-intelligence techniques!

Join us for an important and spirited discussion [7]!

LPC [8] will be held November 2-4 in Santa Fe, New Mexico, US.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_testing
[2] https://kselftest.wiki.kernel.org/
[3] https://lwn.net/Articles/677764/
[4] http://codemonkey.org.uk/projects/trinity/